Unrestricted Funds are one of the most powerful ways you can help create
a community where every person can reach full potential. The fund you
create offers the ultimate in flexibility, ensuring there will be resources
tomorrow for needs we can’t even imagine today. We use our unrestricted
resources to address current community needs and invest in the work of local
nonprofit organizations that are collaborating with others to make long-term,
How it Works
- You make an unrestricted gift to the Topeka Community Foundation during your lifetime or through a bequest in your will. You can give cash, appreciated securities, real estate, or other assets.
- You sign a simple letter of direction that establishes the fund, which can bear any name you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Your gift will be placed into permanent endowment, which means it will benefit Topeka and Shawnee County forever. We invest your gift so it grows and maximizes our grantmaking resources.
- Our board and professional Community Investment team determine the areas of greatest community need.
- Each grant awarded by the board through the Community Foundation’s competitive grantmaking process is given in the name of the fund you establish and all other unrestricted funds.
- We handle all the administrative details.
- It help us support long-term solutions
- Allows us to respond quickly to emergencies
- Are able to address changing social, cultural, educational, or environmental needs in our local community.
- You and others can add to the fund you establish at any time, receiving tax benefits with each new gift.